Saturday, April 4, 2009

okay, so I didn't get to this yesterday, my boyfriend showed up early and took me out for noodles...

I digress.

This bangle is NOT Bakelite.
How can we tell?

It does not pass the Simichrome polish test. Simichrome is a pink polishing cream that will turn yellow when exposed to Bakelite. With some of the newer reproductions it will turn darker, more brownish in appearance. You're looking for yellow. My bangle did produce a color, but it was green, from the brass studs.

Simichrome is the best method for testing Bakelite, as it does not strip the patina like 409 or Scrubbing Bubbles. If you must test with either of the latter, test only a very small area and then thoroughly wash and dry the spot you tested immediately after doing so.

NEVER USE A HOT PIN to test your plastics. This is for a couple of reasons.

1. Some vintage plastics, such as celluloid are HIGHLY FLAMABLE. Therefore, testing celluloid with something hot is ill advised. Hot water is okay, hot pins are not.

2. It diminishes the value of the piece. I can't tell you how many items I've seen on Ebay go for less simply because they have a pin mark. Silly, but true.

Relying on your nose is another excellent option. True vintage Bakelite gives off an odor of formaldehyde, celluloid smells like camphor and Galalith smells of old, wet dog. Running a piece under hot water briefly will produce a strong enough odor for even an nonsensitive nose. Be sure, again, to thoroughly dry the piece after doing so as overexposure to water can damage some plastics, Celluloid in particular.


So what is that bracelet made of? I have absolutely no idea. Evidently some early plastic that produces no odor. It shall remain a mystery to me, as I'll be returning it. I believe it's old, but if you can't determine it's composition one way or another it holds very little value.

No comments: