Friday, April 3, 2009

Is this Bakelite... tune in after work to find out!



I purchased this bangle from Etsy this week and I'm beginning to wonder if I should simply stop buying Bakelite over there. One thing I've learned is that before you purchase anything as Bakelite it's best to have a quick conversation with the seller, but I'm finding the sellers of vintage on Etsy to be ill-informed at best and downright dishonest at worst.

I contacted the seller of this bracelet and they assured me that it passed the 409 test for Bakelite, however, I can't produce the proper smell when heated, nor does it sound as it should when tapped against the teeth. I'll have to wait until I get home to chemically test it. This irritates me and illustrates why I'm losing my faith in Etsy sellers.

This is coming off the heel of another clusterfuck on Etsy with Retrogirlgypsyarcade.

I attempted to purchase this and contacted her first. It was listed as Bakelite and priced at 39 dollars. When she confirmed that it was indeed Bakelite I bought it, only to have her refund my money and jack up the price!

She won't get the extra hundred dollars she is now asking for it, not in this market, but that is her prerogative. This again demonstrates my dislike of unreliable Etsy sellers and a flaw in Etsy's buying system, as well. I am unable to leave this greedy woman a negative feedback since she canceled the sale. On Ebay, she would have been required to complete the transaction or at the very least, suffer a negative feedback.

In my opinion, when buying vintage Bakelite on Etsy it is definitely buyer beware.

No comments: